Tuesday 12 February 2013

Day 11 - Just Because

Why must I eat my breakfast? Why can't I have chocolates for dinner? Why must I get up early? Why can't I beat my sister up? Why must I brush my teeth? Why can't I wear my new pants to bed? Why do clothes need to get washed? Why can't we have all the clothes in the store? Why do other kids have so many birthdays and I only get one? Why should I say Thank You when I get a present I don't really want? Why can't I marry mommy? Why can Daddy sleep with mommy but I can't? Why can't I eat potatoes everyday?

Why can't I have half my class over for a sleepover? Why can't I get a cell phone for my birthday? Why do I need to learn History of all things? Why do I have to be good at everything?

When the questions far outnumber the answers, when their energy far outlasts my patience, I do what parents the world over do. I say "Just because!"

Why do so many children go hungry everyday? Why do fathers rape their own children? Why are women looked upon as fair game? Why do politicians seem to get away with so much? Why is everything always so expensive? Why must we go to work everyday? Why do we work so hard to earn so little honestly when so many others make so much by dishonest means? Why do women have to work so hard to stay pretty? Why are teachers paid so little? Why is everything that is delicious so bad for you? Why are there so many diseases in the world?

So many questions, so few answers. I can't help thinking that maybe, just maybe, somewhere in his heaven, an irate God is crossing his arms, wagging a finger, looking down sternly, and saying, "Just because!"

No comments:

Post a Comment